Home 50cc Mopeds 125cc Mopeds 125cc Motorcycles Electric Mopeds About FAQ Finance Insurance Affiliates Guides Terms Contact

How to get a moped licence?

How to get a moped licence?

Mopeds are attractive to young and new road users because of their simplicity. Standard moped engines are twist and go, meaning they have automatic transmission and require only a few actions from the rider. That said, you do still need to complete some basic training to legally be allowed on the road. The type of training depends on your previous experience, and indirectly your age.

You don’t actually need a full motorbike licence to ride a moped, that’s one of the best things about them. At the very least you need to sit something called a CBT test. This is a day’s training from a qualified instructor that teaches you all the theoretical and practical information you need to get started on the road. The course is inexpensive and is perfect for young people with no previous road experience.

The CBT course consists of five sections: introduction, on-site training, on-site riding, on-road training, and on-road riding. As you can see, you’re eased into the course gradually, first in a controlled environment with the instructor at hand, and then on a public road. Although this bit might sound scary, it’s very easy and you’re not expected to go far. Once the instructor is happy with your knowledge you’ll be awarded your certificate, which is valid for two years.

You can take a CBT test once you turn 16, and you have a provisional driving licence. The CBT entitles you to ride a 50cc moped, but you must always display L-plates and you’re not allowed to carry pillion passengers. After two years, you’ll be expected to either take another CBT test or obtain your full motorbike licence if you want to carry on riding motorbikes.

Once you have completed the CBT test, you then have the option of taking getting your full moped licence. This will obviously take longer than the CBT, and consists of a practical and a theory test. Providing you know the Highway Code, the theory should be very easy, and the more practice you have, the easier you’ll find the practical test. Passing allows you to remove the L-plates from your moped and carry passengers. It also means you don’t have to renew it every two years.

If you already have a car driving licence, and you passed before 1/2/2001, then you automatically have a full moped licence. This allows you to ride a 50cc moped without L-plates. If you passed your driving test after that date, you’ll still have to take a CBT test, but you won’t have to display L-plates. You can then ride mopeds for as long as your driving licence is valid.

Getting a moped licence is relatively easy, and can be useful if you’re expecting to carry passengers. However, you’re more limited by the capability of a moped, and so it can be sensible to just use a CBT until it expires and then pass your full motorbike licence, as this allows you to ride much more powerful vehicles.